2012 was not a bad year, music-wise. Though I have been extremely busy and my blog suffered. Which does not mean I did not have time to listen to music, on the contrary. Here is a very random, subjective selection of tunes that were frequent guests in my player. The list should consist of twice as many items, and it includes more hyped "crowd-pleasers" and obvious choices than usual, probably due to the fact that 2012 delivered plenty of them. As for the new trends - We are Trapped and Techno is Back.
Happy New Year, May the Good Music Be With You.
DOKTOR KRANK'S TOP TRACKS OF 2012
The best remix and track of the year.
Kanye West - Mercy (RL Grime & Salva Remix) by SALVA
2. TNGHT – Higher Ground (TNGHT EP / Warp)
Close tie with RL Grime’s and Salva’s refix of Mercy in my ranking of the best ‘party’ tune of 2012. Their performance at Tauron Festival in Katowice was legendary.
3. Krampfhaft – I Needed You (Om Unit remix) (Rwina Records)
Two of my favorite producers on the electronic scene represented in one of the biggest anthems of 2012. A true masterpiece!!
Krampfhaft - I Needed You (Om Unit Remix) FREE DOWNLOAD by Om Unit
4. G Jones – Alias (Boeboe Remix) (Mirage EP / Saturate! Records)
ARghhhhh! This remix is hot hot hot and G Jones is THE brightest star currently shining on the Saturate! firmament. He offers a unique futuristic trap / juke / experimental electronica blend that works just perfectly at home and in da club! (Read the review of Mirage EP here)
5. Eprom – Regis Chillbin (Metahuman / Rwina Records)
If you haven’t heard this tune played at the party, the party probably sucked or there were no hipsters around :)))) In my personal ranking, the best Eprom’s tune since Humanoid.A EPROM - Regis Chillbin [RWINALP001S] by Rwina Records
6. Fancy Mike – VVVV, 1997 (Mary B. James album/King Deluxe)
Beautiful cinematic music. I wish there were more artists like Fancy Mike around.
7. Blawan – Why They Hide Their Bodies Under My Garage (His He She & She / Hinge Finger)
Mega-hyped tune that every DJ I know wanted to play which, surprise surprise, deserves all the hype. Off-kilter, stomping techno beat with horror samples and totally fucking awesome and addictive bassline. KILLER!
Blawan - Why They Hide Their Bodies Under My Garage by Beegie_B
8. Oneone – Magic Comb (Memory 9 remix) (Short Story EP/Saturate! Records)
Short Story EP by oneone (Gergő Galambos) hailing from Budapest is another great release on Saturate! Enchanting.
9. Gent & Jawns – Turn Up (Mad Decent)
Trap anthem with trancey build-ups :) promoted by Diplo’s Mad Decent. Heavy party roller.
Gent & Jawns - TURNUP **FREE DOWNLOAD** by Gent & Jawns
10. Sinjin Hawke – Crystal Dust (The Lights EP/Pelican Fly)
BANGER which can be put next to TNGHT’s ‘Higher Ground’ as the hardest kicking party tune of 2012 !!! And this is just one side of the versatile work of this very promising young producer. The entire EP is full of gems.
11. Pixelord – Been Lookin (Supaplex EP/ Civil Music)
Pixelord in top form ! Party smasher.
12. RL Grime – Grapes Alla Vodka (Grapes EP / WEDIDIT)
Crunky trap monster of a track !! Check the entire EP as it includes equally wicked remixes by Salva, Shlohmo, Groundislava and LOL Boys. Easily one of the best releases this year!
13. Teielte – Selcouth (Liquid Molly remix) (Wooden Love EP/U Know Me Records)
Banger from the best Polish release this year. (Read a review of this EP on my blog )
14. Illum Sphere – Agent White (Kidkanevil Agent Black Remix) (Illum Sphere Remixed/Fat City)
Kidkanevil refixing one of my personal best tracks ever - Illum Sphere's Agent White, with breaks and all :)
15. ENiGMA DUBz – We Make It Work! Ft. Trilla & Screama (for40records)
Serious head-nodding grime biznisssss!
Enigma Dubz Featuring Trilla & Screama - We Make It Work (Firin Squad ChoiceFM 17/11/2012) by four40records
16. A Thousand Years – No light (Farmers in Fields of Stars/King Deluxe)
Moody house tune
17. Andy Stott – Lost and Found (Luxury Problems/Modern Love)
My favorite track from an interesting, if a bit over-hyped, Luxury Problems. Trap techno or what? Anyway, Andy Stott’s music creates a unique listening experience, painting soundscapes with slowed down techno beat and muted bass. Plus his treatment of the voice of his former piano teacher is simply excellent .
18. Daniel Drumz – Not This Time (Sleepless State of Mind EP/U Know Me Records)
My favorite track from another perfect release by a Polish producer Daniel Drumz. More Polish power coming from U Know Me Records. Impeccable production skills, great synths and unique, futuristic sound. World quality music to say the least.
19. Liar – Origami Bound (Undance / Farver Music)
Sad and beautiful techno love song.
20. M.I.A. - Bad Girls (Surkin remix).
I love the original, and Surkin's remix stands out from the host of inevitable refixes of M.I.A.'s hit. This tune helps A LOT when driving a car in the traffic jam :)
MIA - BAD GIRLS (SURKIN RMX) by MIAuk
21. Ptr1 – Remote Kind of Sadness (Carte Blanche EP)
Polish producer PTR1 unraveling an absolutely enchanting bass story. I love his emotional and touching sound landscapes
22. H-SIK – Gallerry (Cocody EP/ Error Broadcast)
Grimey, jukey ghetto beast by an African artist - Herve Sika.
23. Madrid - Ima Work (Soundcloud)
This is how they roll in their trap swag.
Ima Work by MΔDRID
24. Kidsuke – Tiny Concrete Block (Kidsuke / Project Mooncircle)
Beautiful beatz in this little tiny gem by Kidsuke (Kidkanevil & Daisuke Tanabe), the most promising collab of 2012.
Kidsuke (kidkanevil x Daisuke Tanabe) - Tiny Concrete Block by kidkanevil
25. Future f T.I. - Magic (Starkey Remix) (Street Bass Bootlegs 2 / Seclusiasis)
Street Bass is the brand that never disappoints and Starkey delivers as usual